Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cupcakes

.

These cupcakes came out well and were ridiculously easy to make.  I made a Duncan Hines cake mix according to the directions with one change.  I substituted all the water for pureed strawberries.  Then baked according to the directions.  I did notice that my bake time was about 6 minutes shorter than the recommended bake time.  The frosting was the best part of the cupcakes and just as easy to make.  I mixed one 8oz tub of cream cheese with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.  I whipped at top speed for a minute or two then added 1 cup of pureed strawberries and whipped.  This made the mixture a little too runny so I added another spoon or two of cream cheese to thicken it up a bit.  Once it was the consistency of a thin paste I adjusted the sugar to my personal sweetness level.  Next I added about 3 heaping tablespoons of cool whip and used a flat spatula to mix it in.  Just until the mixture was a uniform pink color.  Once the cupcakes are cooled just frost them and add a strawberry on top to garnish.  I had to cut my strawberries because I used frozen strawberries and they don't always look the best. I cut them and trimmed until they looked nice. Let the frosted cupcakes sit for about 30 minutes and the frosting will thicken up.  Everyone at the party liked them.  I thought they were pretty special and I didn't have to pay a lot.   Ultimately it didn't take much more time than normally either so I will definitely be making these again.

No comments: