Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Situational Ebonics Part II

I got some emails about yesterday's post.  So first I'm ridiculously excited that more people than I thought read this blog.  Yay... The emails ranged from agreement because they had experienced this to questions from a couple of friends  about whether I was talking about them.  To set the record straight.  Any one of my friends that I spend time with would know if I felt they used situational ebonics.  I call my friends on it because I don't want to be annoyed everytime I hang out with them.  So if you know I consider you a friend and I haven't called you on it then more than likely I haven't noticed you changing your speech around me.  If you are a friend and I have called you on it, then know that I did it because I value your friendship and have taken steps to ensure we remain friends for a long time.  I didn't want to give the impression that I don't want anyone to say "Hey Girl or Girlfriend" around me.  I don't object to the phrases themselves.  I know plenty of people who use these phrases and it doesn't bother me.  What I find offensive is when I know someone is just using these phrases around me or another black person. Stop it.  Just be beautifully you.  I have a friend who addresses her girlfriends as "Sister".  She is not black and it doesn't offend me because she says it to all females that she feels friendship or sisterhood with regardless of race.   I respect that.  A friend taught me how to say hello in Mandarin.  Now I regularly greet the people in my lab with that phrase regardless of race.  I don't just bust it out when I'm around Chinese people.  I found a funny website that is almost too perfect for this topic.  Enjoy. I did get a couple of emails from people who thought I was being too sensitive.  Perhaps I was, but this is the pauper princess blog and I am The Princess!! hahahahahaha Just kidding.  No I wasn't.  Keep them coming.  I would really like it if more people left comments.  I'm still a little new to the blogging game so emails from unknown sources might not get opened.  Yesterday's post was the first to inspire emails so I didn't expect them and almost didn't open them because they were sent to my junk mail.  I have to change my filter to add emails from the blog to go to my inbox.


Tags: ,


Powered by Qumana


No comments: