Friday, May 8, 2009

The Minister Has Spoken

I have needed to write this blog for a while. I think maybe I just now started putting this concept to good use, so it is time for me to put it out into the blogsphere. With Mother's Day coming up I decided to share one of the best pieces of advice ever given to me by "The Minister" (I like to call her Mommy!) So without further ado here it is....Don't listen to people that don't count! Only you can decide who counts and who doesn't so be choosy in your selection. There are some people that will spend 90% of their time trying to cause problems for other people. They will never change and when you aren't around for them to cause problems for they will cause problems for someone else. I have recently invested too much time and effort being pissed off at one such shit starter that happens to be a professor in my department. I don't delude myself into thinking I'm special to him. He has a shitload of people that he is talking shit about and stirring up trouble for. I called The Minister just the other day to complain about him. She quietly listened to me rant for about 20 minutes, then gave me her loving motherly advice.
"You stop all that belly-aching, do what you have to do to graduate and tell him to kiss your shiny black ass! You know asses like yours don't just come to be. I gave you that kiss worthy ass! Now get off of it and be happy!"
You gotta love it. If you ever met The Minister you would understand. My mother is 5'4" of sweet southern charm masquerading as a Californian. She always has a smile and blessing for everyone she meets, but if you push her she will "put the pump to you". I think I'm the only one that ever induces her to use the word ass. I love being her problem child. I'm sure some of you needed to hear this little jewel from my Mom just as much as me. Lets hear the best advice your Mom ever gave you.

5 comments:

Shanster said...

Oh I LOVE your Mom just from your description in this post!

Hmmm ... I guess a good one my Mom gave me is, "YOU get to choose who YOU want to be." Don't let anyone pigeon hole you... live to be true to who you are.

Foxxy said...

Shanster- excellent advice. In a perfect world you get to choose who you want to be AND who matters.

Squeelet said...

Ah, see, my mother's advice (to my 14 year old horror) was, "Sometimes to get what you want you just have to get on top."

Man, folding the laundry has never been so mortifying. The advice was, you understand, apropos of *absolutely nothing*.

Foxxy said...

I love that advice. I'm sure 26 year old you has more use for it than 14 year old you.

Squeelet said...

Oh, it was awesome advice for 23 year old me, but that's a discussion for not the internet.